Office, no office, mobile office, home office – 5 tips for remotely managing virtual teams
There are a ton of benefits of teleworking for established companies, including overhead reduction, increased productivity and improved employee retention and attraction. However, for many start-ups this type of workforce whether labeled, teleworkers, remote employees or virtual workers, are a necessity rather than an option. But when your team can be “virtually” anywhere how do you ensure you’re getting your money’s worth out of your workforce?
Collaboration and team work are a necessity to move business forward. Where these types of exchanges were traditionally conducted in pow wow’s in the conference room and perhaps a shared server for storing team work product, technology now allows a myriad of options for teams to collaborate whether they’re around the corner or around the globe. Cloud computing and video conferencing are probably the lowest hanging fruit but there are hundreds of tools and built with remote collaboration in mind.
Above and beyond the technology investment, here are the top 5 tips to consider when building and managing your virtual team to get results:
- Some people thrive on the flexibility of working remotely, for others it’s a distraction. Seek out team members who have successfully worked remotely in the past.
- Employ a defined communication strategy. Keeping your team up to date is mission critical, especially when they’re remote.
- Define clear goals and expectations. What, when and by whom. All members of the team need to understand their role and how they will be held accountable.
- Build a sense of team. Teams don’t just happen, they’re created. Allow time for socializing and sharing personal and professional and personal milestones.
- Reward results. Going a step beyond letting everyone know how their individual contributions matter to team and company success, incentivize them for their efforts and team success. Consider a bonus system that rewards top performers and contributors.
Want to learn more about deploying technology to facilitate your remote teams? Give the team at Teltek a call!
Teltek is a Certified Avaya Business Partner, NEC Dealer, and Microsoft Partner with two locations in the Baltimore Metropolitan area. We specialize in providing one call technology support for small to mid-sized businesses and nonprofits in Maryland, Washington, DC and Virginia.