Protecting Your Business from Cyber Security Issues During the Holidays
While the holidays are referred to as “the most wonderful time of the year,” they are also known for being prime time for cyber security issues. Since consumers are focused on the bustle of the season and business owners are busy working hard meeting customer demand, cyber security often falls by the wayside.
The Rise of Holiday Hacking
A 2017 study found that financial malware correlated with cyber security breaches increased almost 25% during the holiday season. Over the course of the 2016 holiday season, cyber thieves used about 30 types of banking Trojans that contributed to a whopping $6.9 billion in online payment frauds. With cyber security risks growing every year, every business owner should take steps to protect their business and customers during the holidays.
The Most Common Holiday Attacks
The most common threats during the holiday season include:
- Phishing campaigns, where you will receive emails disguised as authentic communications from vendors or customers looking to capture passwords and personal information or install dangerous software on your system
- Skimmers placed on your POS terminals that will read the card number and pin code when customers pay with a credit or debit card
- DDoS, or distributed denial of service, attacks, where a hacker will try to make your website unavailable to customers by disrupting the services of the host connected to the internet. While this type of attack might not compromise any personal or sensitive information, downtime on your website could cost you thousands in sales over the holiday season
Preparing for Cyber Security Attacks Around the Holidays
- Schedule a check-up with Teltek to make sure that your current IT systems are secure and properly backing everything up. Now is the time to install patches, update security systems and schedule regular back-ups, because you won’t have time to do so soon!
- Continuously monitor your business with security systems to make sure that nothing is off. With Teltek’s support, you can have your back end monitored around the clock for attempted breaches or DDoS attacks.
- Never leave anything to chance. Don’t try to protect your business and customers from data breaches and cyber security attacks alone.
Partner with Teltek for Cyber Security Protection
Teltek is a leader in IT and cybersecurity solutions for businesses of every size. Thanks to our Total Care Assurance Guarantee, we have a loyal and thriving customer base. Our proprietary approach to meeting any business’s IT needs for a single fixed price is part of what makes Teltek different. If you are ready to learn more about Teltek and our Total Care Assurance solutions, contact us today for a free consultation at 1-866-9-TELTEK or 410-552-6580.