Is the drive on your computer or server making clicking, grinding or whirring sounds? If so, don’t pass go, don’t dial a friend but do immediately shut down your computer to avoid permanent data loss. If you had been backing up your data this might be as simple as a component replacement. However, if you’re caught off guard, never assume data is unrecoverable.
Teltek has partnered with DriveSavers Data Recovery to help their clients recover data from failed devices. In addition to the usual suspects, they can recover data from tablets, smart phones and even digital cameras. Here are some best practices that DriveSavers and Teltek recommend:
- Never upgrade any system without a verified backup
- Use up-to-date hardware and software utilities for data security, such as firewalls and virus protection
- Scan all incoming data for viruses, including packaged software
- Use ventilation, fans and/or air conditioning to keep servers at the proper operating temperature
- Connect systems to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to protect against power surges
- Power down and take extreme caution when moving computers
- Avoid static discharge when touching or handling the media, especially in excessively dry environments
Regular system backup is not only a nice to have but a need to have for your business. Imagine the amount of time and money that would be lost if you were without your data and had to reassemble/ recreate everything. As a proactive measure, you should deploy an automatic backup program for your computers and servers. Here are some proved backup strategies from DriveSavers and Teltek :
- Invest in redundant backup systems
- Establish a structured backup procedure to make copies of all critical data files, using software compatible with the operating system and applications
- Periodically test the backups to verify that data, especially databases and other critical files, are being backed up properly
- Keep at least one verified copy of critical data offsite
Whether it’s an unexpected issue or you’re looking to put together an ongoing backup strategy for your business, the folks at Teltek can help. Give us a call to discuss your needs and ensure that you have always have access to your data, regardless of what hardware issues might arise.
Teltek is a Certified Avaya Business Partner, NEC Dealer, and Microsoft Partner with two locations in the Baltimore Metropolitan area. We specialize in providing one call technology support for small to mid-sized businesses and nonprofits in Maryland, Washington, DC, Virginia and Pennsylvania.